White chocolate and raspberry are a perfect combination. I made these when I had cream cheese to use up. I adore carrot cake with cream cheese icing but wanted to try something different. I remembered I had frozen raspberries (and I always have white chocolate!) so this was a bit of a no-brainer. I’m not a huge fan of squidgy fruit in cupcakes, so this is basically white chocolate chip cupcakes topped with raspberries, which sink slightly into the mixture during baking.
Raspberry and white chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese icing
Makes 12 cupcakes
Raspberry and White Chocolate Cupcakes
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 125 g caster sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 125 g unsalted butter, melted and allowed to cool slightly
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 100 g white chocolate baking chips
- ¾ cup frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven 200°C (180°C fan forced).
- Line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Sift flour and combine with sugar and choc chips in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter, milk, vanilla and eggs, then gently fold into the flour, sugar and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared cases using a teaspoon, filling each case to about ¾ full.
- Place 3-4 frozen raspberries on the top (in the centre) of each cupcake (or mix them through before spooning the batter into the cases if you prefer).
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely on wire rack before icing.
White chocolate cream cheese icing:
- 100 g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 75 g white chocolate, melted and allowed to cool slightly
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Using an electric beater, cream butter, cream cheese and icing sugar until pale.
- Add vanilla and the melted chocolate, while continuing to beat for a few minutes until light and fluffy.
- Decoratively ice each cupcake.