Think the end of the working week and a hot stinker day. Think of sitting on a chair on your deck and staring out into nothing, praising the weekend ahead. You could be resting a cold beer on your belly, or cracking a bottle of chardonnay, but by far far far and away better is to herald in the weekend with this glorious concoction.
This drink is slightly sweet raspberries, offset by tart pomegranate and fresh mint, mellowed with dry gin and exuberant with Prosecco. Just be careful. After a couple of these, you won’t be able to move. Isn’t that just perfect after a long week on a hot hot hot day? I find this quite dry and refreshing and the Prosecco adds to the sweetness, but you could add a little extra sweetness by adding sugar into the muddle mixture if you like.
Raspberry and pomegranate dry, muddled with fizz
- 1 ice cube, somewhat crushed
- 4 raspberries
- 4 mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 15 ml gin
- 30 ml pomegranate juice
- Get a champagne glass and a heavy duty drinking glass.
- Place the ice cube, mint leaves and raspberries (and sugar if using) in the heavy duty glass and muddle about with the end of a wooden spoon. Of course you can use a professional cocktail muddling thingo, but I think a wooden spoon works just fine. Muddle about until the raspberries are roughly crushed and the mint broken up enough to release a wonderful minty aroma – not too much or else it will go bitter.
- Dispense into the champagne glass.
- Add the gin and the pomegranate juice and fill up with Prosecco.